Date:      Wed, 02 Aug 2000 14:13:57 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Mark.Hummel@hurlburt.af.mil
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's the Best "Slice" Option?

Mark.Hummel@hurlburt.af.mil wrote:

> I've decided to increase the size of my FBSD partition and while I'm at it,
> will install 4.1 STABLE.  I also think reinstalls are a great way to gain OS
> experience fast.  The last time (my first) I installed 4.0, I allowed the
> pre-config program to "auto" slice the partition.  Now, even though the
> partition is 1087MB, the slice where /usr resides is reporting 104% full (df
> -h).  I was surprised because the only thing I installed was KDE, Netscape,
> mtools, and the tcsh shell.
>
> Is auto the way to go or should I manually configure the slices?  If anyone
> recommends the manual method please explain how and why.  Thanks.

No but it is probably the best choice you have unless you have any
idea what you want. I stuck everything into a single partition. I had
multiple slices to overcome the 1024 cylinder rule but only one
partition for /, which contained /usr, /var, /tmp, and etc. I started
having an idea of what I wanted and got to tinkering. The last time I
did a clean install, I allocated my drives thusly

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a     99183    35742    55507    39%    /
/dev/ad3s1f    992239      523   912337     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad0s1e  11934818  3245427  7734606    30%    /usr
/dev/da0s1e   4102037   475624  3298251    13%    /usr1
/dev/ad1s1e   2999774  1259377  1500416    46%    /usr3
/dev/ad3s1e    496111     8001   448422     2%    /var
/dev/ad3s1g  11442450  5068504  5458550    48%    /usr2
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc

I obviously overshot on a few :). /tmp is 1GB and 0% used. /var is
500MB and 2% used. I still like this setup because I have room for
massive errors, which I try to account for. I have much less time to
figure out what I want and HD's are cheap by comparison. / wouldn't be
nearly that full except /sbin was added to it during the 4.1 builds. I
cuss every time I look at it but I haven't tried to move it. A sign of
how important it is :). One of the drives has a copy of the cvs tree
for KDE and another has the cvs repository for FreeBSD. When you have
free space, the possibilities are endless.

I have some project in mind that will chew up most of the space. I
just haven't installed them yet. I am also scanning and moving
megabytes of images into /usr. Most have been optimized by Adobe's
ImageReady to low quality so that no one can steal a good copy :). I
have some historical photographs of my ancestors that are ~140 years
old and a relative can have a raw copy by sending a postpaid zip disk.
I think it may take a jaz to get them all by the time I'm done.
Someone browsing from the WWW will only get to see 10% quality jpeg's.
That is sort of like looking at the moon from an earthbound telescope
instead of using the Hubble.

Have a good day,

Kent

> Mark

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg