Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 04:05:11 -0000 (GMT)
From:      krispyos@ix.netcom.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing and ppbus?

Since we are on the topic, I was wondering if it is at all possible to get a HP
7xx series deskjet printer to work in FreeBSD. I know that a similar thread went
around several months ago and the common reply was no. However after installing
FreeBSD 3.1 the dmesg output gave me some hope.

        dmesg:
            ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 on isa
            ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
            ppb0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
            Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
            ppbus0: <HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 710C> SCP,VLINK
            nlpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
            nlpt0: Interrupt-driven port
            ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
            plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus 0

Is this anything to get excited about or should I look for a new printer?

Thanks for the time,
Rocky Hays