Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 17:17:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      kew@timesink.spk.wa.us
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   i386/1809: Floppy boot failure

>Number:         1809
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       floppy boot code causes reboot of computer
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE i386
>Environment:

	HP Pavilion 7020, 90 MHz Pentium, IDE disks, ATAPI cdrom,
	16 MB RAM,

	The boot floppy code will display the Phase I boot prompt;
	options can be typed in, but as soon as Enter/Return is pressed,
	or the timeout is reached, the machine does a warm boot.

	The HD boot code works fine, and I am able to install the
	system by initially booting from DOS through the FBSDBOOT
	program.

	This problem started between 2.1 and 2.1.5. I.e., the 2.1 floppy
	boot code worked fine, whereas the 2.1.5 code causes the
	reboot. I downloaded the latest 2.2 snap boot.flp and it
	has the same problem.

>How-To-Repeat:

	Attempt to boot from floppy.

>Fix:

	Don't boot from floppy, boot from DOS through FBSDBOOT program.