Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 2008 12:17:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk, Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>, Robert Lebovich <robert@prokk.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD installation doesn't work

Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de> wrote:
 > Matthew Seaman wrote:
 > > Mel wrote:
 > > > that's aside from the fact that the root partition '/' always has to be the
 > > > first partition, for the simple reason that everything else is mounted on top
 > > > of it.
 > >
 > > It's not the partition device names that determine the mount order, but
 > > the order of the entries in /etc/fstab.
 >
 > Actually not even the order in /etc/fstab matters.  You can
 > place the root file system last and it will still work.

Uhm, just to be sure:  We are talking about the *root* file
system here.

Of course, the order of the *remaining* file systems in
/etc/fstab (without "noauto" flag) *does* matter, because
this is the order in which they are mounted by the RC
scripts.  Only the root file system is special.

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  BTW, Mel, your email address doesn't work.  I get
bounces from your mail server.

"People still program in C.  People keep writing shell scripts.  *Most*
people don't realize the shortcomings of the tools they are using because
they a) don't reflect on their workflows and they are b) too lazy to check
out alternatives to realize there is help." -- Simon 'corecode' Schubert