Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 17:59:36 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help spread the CVSup mirror load more evenly

> > Second, a domain name can at most a single CNAME record associated
> > with it, and other other record types.  BIND will (should) barf on a
> > zone file containing the example you listed.
>
> It does not. It will round-robin over the CNAME's.

If it does, than this is a bug in BIND.  The DNS is not defined to
work this way.   Semantically, it doesn't make sense to have more
than one CNAME record.  The CNAME resource record is supposed to
contain the cannonical name for the domain name that it's associated
with.  There can be only one cannonical name.

And it appears that in the latest BIND, they've seen the error of their
ways:

  multiple-cnames
       If yes, then multiple CNAME resource records will be allowed for a do-
       main name.  The default is no. Allowing multiple CNAME records is
       against standards and is not recommended.  Multiple CNAME support is
       available because previous versions of BIND allowed multiple CNAME
       records, and these records have been used for load balancing by a num-
       ber of sites.

In any case, this has turned into a debate on how to (ab)use BIND and
the DNS, and is well off topic.

> Yea, then all swamp cvsup8.freebsd.org and John has to send another
> message that there are still cvsup[2-7].freebsd.org idling around.
> Just kidding... But you get the point?

My only point is that the first response to a problem isn't to necessarily
pull out emacs and start hacking away on code.

louie