Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 17:14:37 -0800
From:      Bill Huey (Hui) <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>
Cc:        Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, "John L. Utz III" <john@utzweb.net>, Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, rwatson@freesbsd.org, calvin.austin@sun.com, brian@collab.net, bod@freebsdfoundation.org, "Bill Huey (Hui)" <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 06:20:13AM +0600, Max Khon wrote:
> They asked glewis and nate. Isn't that enough?
> Someone invested some amount of money and they have given it to Alexey.
> That's simple.

No way, they did so without understanding a preexisting and implicit
political structure in this group. I have always been apart of the inner
circle until Nate decided to go completely nuts and feel threatened by
my involvement with the project.

> Should they pay something to Greg? He's done tremendous amount of work
> to make 1.3.1 available on FreeBSD. Or Nate? I do not think that porting 1.1.8
> was easy. Or some other developers that contribute to FreeBSD Java Project?
> If I had spare money that I could spend for such purpose maybe I'd pay Bill.
> If you have money feel free to send them to Bill.
>
> Bill is known to be one of the most active developers of 1.3.1 HotSpot.
> That's the fact. I highly appreciate his work. But what all you guys are
> talking about? I'd understand you if it were yours money. But they are not.

It's not about the person getting the money as much as how it happpened.
It was done behind closed doors in the context of an open source project.

> It is a volunteer project and noone can expect that he will be paid
> for his job or request the contract if he was not chosen by some investor.

Nobody was, but that's not the point. The point is the dysfunctional
political body running this project into the ground.

bill