Date:      Sun, 02 Nov 2014 09:15:58 +0100
From:      Gerhard Schmidt <schmidt@ze.tum.de>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw and carp problems

--8INgTqfOMqt5RG3q07LWkwudOcFG2A1ej

Am 01.11.2014 06:56, schrieb Ian Smith:
> [...]
>  >  > My problem is that my setup need a new server do come up as backu=
>  >  > because is has to replicate the data from the running server befo=
re
>  >  > being able to act as master. There could be data loss if a newly =
booted
>  >  > server named master without prior replicating the data.
>  >  >=20
>  >  > Is there a way to ensure that the firewall rules are up before th=
e carp
>  >  > interfaces are initialized or to load the ipfw module with defaul=
t to
>  >  > accept.
>  >=20
>  > The canonical way was to build a custom kernel with ipfw included as=
 per=20
>  > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/firewalls-ipfw.html including=20
>  > 'options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT' .. however you can accomplish=
=20
>  > this with a GENERIC (or other) kernel by adding to /boot/loader.conf=
:
>  >=20
>  >   ipfw_load=3D"YES"		# to load the ipfw module early
>  >=20
>  > and adding to /etc/sysctl.conf
>  >=20
>  >   net.inet.ip.fw.enable=3D0
>  >   net.inet6.ip6.fw.enable=3D0	# if using ipv6
>  >=20
>  > /etc/rc.d/sysctl is run early (on 9.3, first) before other rc.d=20
>  > scripts including netif and later ipfw, which will then only enable =
the=20
>  > firewall after having loaded your ruleset.
>  >=20
>  > I just tested this over ssh to a 9.3 GENERIC box not running ipfw:
>  >=20
>  > root@x200:~/bin # kldload ipfw && sysctl net.inet.ip.fw.enable=3D0 \=

>  > 	&& sysctl net.inet6.ip6.fw.enable=3D0
>  > net.inet.ip.fw.enable: 1 -> 0
>  > net.inet6.ip6.fw.enable: 1 -> 0
>  > root@x200:~/bin # ipfw show
>  > 65535 0 0 deny ip from any to any
>  >=20
>  > which would have locked me out had it not worked :)
>  >=20
>  > Of course you must accept that there is a vulnerable window between =

>  > starting net interfaces (netif) and starting ipfw, however miniscule=
=2E
>=20
> Excuse replying to my own message, but I've since discovered that you=20
> could also add 'net.inet.ip.fw.default_to_accept=3D1' to loader.conf as=
 an=20
> alternative.  I hadn't twigged that this one is a loader tunable, unlik=
e=20
> the sysctls mentioned above, and so can be set before ipfw.ko is loaded=
,=20
> ie before the net.inet.ip[6].fw OIDs even exist.
>=20
> Please let the list know if either of these methods solve your issue?

Sorry was out of town for a view days.

I did solve my problem with activating the default_to_accept tunable.

Since this server should be running 24/7 the slight exposure on start up
shouldn't be a problem especially because the services protected are
started way after firewall is initialized.

Regards
   Estartu

--=20
Gerhard Schmidt                | E-Mail: schmidt@ze.tum.de
Technische Universit=E4t M=FCnchen | Jabber: estartu@ze.tum.de
WWW & Online Services          |
Tel: +49 89 289-25270          | PGP-PublicKey
Fax: +49 89 289-25257          | on request