Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 01:22:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gerard Roudier <groudier@iplus.fr>
To:        nash@mcs.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Unices are created equal, but...

On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, Alex Nash wrote:

> [ posted to hackers only ]
>
> I ran some tests on a 486-66 ASUS S3PG with an NCR53c810 and 16MB of
> RAM, pitting Linux 1.3.83 against the FreeBSD 2.2 SNAP CD.  Since I
> didn't do all the work necessary to perform an accurate comparison
> (the compilers were different for example), I'll skip the specific
> Byte UNIX Benchmark numbers.  However, I did note a few interesting
> things:
>
> As Terry noted, the file copy test improved dramatically when
> FreeBSD was run in async mode.  The resulting performance was
> within 2% of Linux.
>
> The execl throughput test was a complete massacre, with Linux more
> than an order of magnitude faster.  Does anyone familiar with the
> internals of exec know why?
>
> I also ran iozone using a 50MB file with 4096 byte records.  Terry,
> I think your idea of a FreeBSD upgrade for Linux may be coming
> true...
>
>   FreeBSD on UFS:
>           2770803 bytes/second for writing the file
>           3908495 bytes/second for reading the file
>
>   Linux on ext2fs:
>           3220442 bytes/second for writing the file
>           1950476 bytes/second for reading the file
>
>   FreeBSD on ext2fs:
>           2768517 bytes/second for writing the file
>           3265638 bytes/second for reading the file
>
> Naturally, Linux on UFS resulted in 0 bytes/second :)

It seems that something is magic for Linux in my system:

P90/16MB/NCR53c810/IBMS12
FreeBSD-2.0.5 installed  in notche 0. (should be faster)
Linux-1.3.87 installed near notche 1.

iozone 100 4096

Linux-1.3.87 / 1k ext2 file system
           4257312 bytes/second for writing the file
           3924311 bytes/second for reading the file

FreeBSD-2.0.5 / file system created while installation
                probably some UFS 8k group ???
           3485269 bytes/second for writing the file
           4438416 bytes/second for readind the file

I have not time enough to write my comments in english.
It is your turn to take some dictionnary if you want to understand
my comments.

FRENCH COMMENTS:
He l'ami,

Les "FreeBSD upgrade" pour Linux, je connais.

Si le driver de Stefan est excellent pour FreeBSD, il l'est tout autant
pour Linux. 300 lignes de code ont suffi pour l'adapter.

La lecture asynchrone ca existe depuis longtemps.
Ca represente environ 50 lignes de code sous Linux.

Il ne fallait pas s'en priver, tu crois pas?

Amities, Gerard.