Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 1996 13:47:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        Adam David <adam@veda.is>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Update for wn port (because of new wn release)

On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Adam David wrote:

> [from Andreas Klemm]
> > I have made some changes to the wn port, because I read in
> > c.o.l.a., that the new version 1.13.3 is available.
> comp.os.linux.admin? :)
                ^^^^^^

pro... aeeh announce ?! ;-)) BTW, it's a good place to look for
software updates. You know that all Linux people like brand
new software, which is of course well tested ;-)

Therefore the idea of a -stable and -current version of ports
sounds smart ;-)

> 1.12.5 has been replaced by 1.12.6 as the latest stable version, whereas
> 1.13.3 is the latest current version.

As far as I remember there was no info in the announcement, that
this version is "-current" (alpha,beta,gamma, ;-)  software *sigh*

> Aah ... hmm, dod I overlook it, This raises the question, which I have
> been meaning to ask for some time on the freebsd-ports mailing list, about
> general guidelines for maintaining 2 versions of a port (as in this case)
> corresponding to -current and -stable.

I think that only software, that works properly should generally
go into the ports collection. Otherwise you have Linux quality
software (very new, but maybe buggy).

This really arises the question, whether to make up a new directory
tree for such alpha's or betas...

I think it could easily be done by making a new file
/usr/share/mk/bsd.ports-alpha.mk or such.

This file could generally include bsd.ports.mk and after
that overload some paths to make up a new installation directory
hierarchie.
/usr/local/alpha/
		bin
		etc
		include
		lib
		libexec
		man

The only problem I see is an additional amout of administration
and that it might become difficult to deceide, where a port
should go into ...

Hmm.... after one more minute of thinking I's suggest to leave it
as it is and to make comments into the ports Makefiles...

"Theis release has more features but isn't tested and probably
not as stable as bla" ... This could go into the DESC file as well...

> > To keep the ports mechanism working, even if the package isn't present
> > any more on the given list of ftp sites in Makefile, we should store
> > in every case a copy of the source archive on the default site
> > ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles
>
> I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that this used to be done
> automatically, as ftp.freebsd.org was mirroring /usr/ports/distfiles on
> freefall. [...]

Don't know exactly how this get's managed... I only recognized,
that some ports somethimes doesn't work anymore because of this.

Satoshi ? Tell us please the glory details ;-)

> It is perfectly acceptable to use a simple MASTER_SITES=... because of
> the way that ftp.freebsd.org is appended by bsd.port.mk as a backup master
> site, and because of the MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE mechanism.

Oh ... Ok.

> This is acceptable, with an appropriate set of filemodes, and I agree.
> It would also seem a good idea to reorganise the data hierarchy somewhat,
> in order to show more clearly that it is only provided as an example
> (and for the documentation). For this purpose, a separate subdirectory
> of /usr/local/wn is ideal... how about /usr/local/wn/data.example ?

Not bad, but I think data is sufficiant. It's a good starting
point to begin the own WWW server.

> Which error message is it? The logfile and the err-logfile must exist and
> be writeable by 'nobody'. 'wn' is normally served via inetd or from the
> commandline for simple testing, and 'swn' is the standalone server daemon.

Oh, I didn't know this ... then I would suggest, to echo "" some
hints prior the install target:

pre-install:
	@echo "Please read xxxx to install wn on your system"
	@echo "In short:"
	@echo "- test wn by running swm in standalone server mode"
	@echo "- usually wn is started by inetd, so you have to edit"
	@echo "  /etc/inetd.conf"

Possibly one should be more concrete, how such an entry would
look like.

Another thing, it would be fine, that every program, that needs
a little postinstallation work, would come with a script in the
files directory: .../files/post-install

This could be a cool script doing *everything* for you or simply
a script, that updates /etc/inetd.conf, /etc/services and such.

I kinda *hate* (;-) it to have a ports section, that installs a
complex program only "partly". You possibly did already a make
clean ... after that you maybe recognize, that manpages are
insufficient, start again over to extract the port, grab for
information ... ;-)

> Of course, it could be something specific to the 1.13.* version. I will look
> into this, and also await feedback from the ports list about maintaining both
> stable and current versions of a port.

I'e do it like the netscape 1 and 2 ports or look at the tcl tk stuff.
But one should take care, that both can be run independently after
installing both...

> The diffs were straightforward, nothing looked amiss.

Thanks, I hope so ;-))

Have I nice day (I got a cold and am at home *sigh*)

	Andreas

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/         $$  Support Unix - aklemm@wup.de  $$