Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 1996 09:04:31 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        andreas@knobel.GUN.de (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help! tex/latex ports problem

> On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, Ollivier Robert wrote:
>
> > It seems that Christoph P. Kukulies said:
> > > When it comes to tex/latex I'm afraid it comes to one
> > > of FreeBSD's weak points. That's where Linux distributions
> > > (especially german ~) really shine.
> >
> > No, just  use Thomas Esser's distribution  named teTeX. It really shines on
> > everything. I use it on  SunOS  and FreeBSD.   It  started as a Linux  only
> > dist. and has now become one of the best TeX/LaTe>X dist IMO.
>
> Christoph, I have a port in the queue. Finished it this evening...
> Only some littel problems, got xtexsh not running, possibly I have
> the wrong TCL/TK version installed. And the configuration of teTeX
> doesn't run with freebsd's dialog utility in fullscreen mode
> (Jordan ?!). But you can use texconfig in batch mode or modify
> the config files directly.
>
> 	Andreas ///

Thanks for the appendix. I did already try teTeX (grabbed the binary dist
from our local sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de) - the only thing
I found making sense to me was texconfig - I started it,
failed miserably and threw in the towel on it.

In the meantime I have Latex2e and all the tex stuff working again.

What I meant when I said 'Linux distributions shine' was that these
distributions are especially made for the german tex user.
These distributions seem to have (haven't seen one by myself)
a graphical (X/tk based?) installation where you can click TeX in a box.

Afaik FreeBSD doesn't aim very much at the end TeX-user but such an
option in the install menu wouldn't be that bad.

> begin 664 teTeX.port.tar.gz
[..]