Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 19:29:51 +1100
From:      Raymond Brighenti <bargi@webfront.net.au>
To:        grog@lemis.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help using diff or cpio for DPT Smartraid V files

> > We have a machine with a DTP Smartraid V controler and wish to get
> > the Raid working.  Simon Shapiro has generously written the code
> > (ftp://simon-shapiro.org/crash/patches/RELENG_3/) to support these
> > beasties but I'm a bit confused to how to use the files.
> >
> > Do I install FreeBSD first and then somehow apply the files and
> > recompile the kernel?
>
>I suppose so.  You should ask Simon.

Didn't want to hassle him if I could help it

> > Perhaps it's worth waiting for the next release of FreeBSD does
> > anyone know going to be included?
>
>I'm pretty sure it won't be in 4.0.
>
>What does your subject refer to?

I'm just trying to find out how to use cpio or diff I guess to apply the
changes.
On the website there's the patch files or cpio archive to download, from
what I can make out it extracts the files needed.
There isn't much in the way of instructions, I thought perhaps there is a
specific directory that I extract it from and maybe some other procedures
that are perhaps common to applying these sorts of things.

Ray