Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 00:02:47 +0100
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        louie@TransSys.COM, drosih@rpi.edu, jdp@polstra.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help spread the CVSup mirror load more evenly

sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> > > Second, a domain name can at most a single CNAME record associated
> > > with it, and other other record types.  BIND will (should) barf on a
> > > zone file containing the example you listed.
> >
> > It does not. It will round-robin over the CNAME's.
>
> See the documentation for the multiple-cnames option in BIND 8.2.2:
>
>    If yes, multiple CNAME resource records will be allowed for a domain
>    name. The default is no.  Allowing multiple CNAME records is against
>    standards and is not recommended. Multiple CNAME support is available
>    because previous versions of BIND allowed multiple CNAME records, and
>    these records have been used for load balancing by a number of sites.
>
> So I'd say this is not a good idea.

Ah, well, ok. I used it extensively with bind 8.1.2 in an internal
application in a big bank to get approx. load distribution with
Windumb clients (they always take the first record in the list
returned).

Anyway, if multi CNAME is no good then do:

cvsup		IN A		198.104.92.71  ; cvsup1.freebsd.org
cvsup		IN A		205.149.189.91 ; cvsup2.freebsd.org
... and so on

This is legal, is it?

--
Andre