Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:33:04 +0100
From:      Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish@planet.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Looking for 'ideal' web-server partitions

--Boundary_(ID_z9Hd2PuCCVkcWhmbb0Z5hQ)

I want to create a web server for a few personal web sites (virtual named
hosts) using Apache, Perl, PHP and MySQL. Maybe later using mod_perl and
ssl.

No mail servers or other complicated stuff, just a plain-vanilla web server
for the general public and an average visitor traffic of below 1000 per day.

I have 40G to use up on an AMD Sempron 1300+ with 512MB and was just
wondering what would be a good way to divvy up the partitions. I was
thinking something like this:

SWAP		1024M
/ 		1057M
/db		6.3G
/usr		24G
/var		4.2G
/www		42G

I've heard arguments for and against a separate /db and/or /tmp partition as
well as using a /home. Also I see that there is a /usr/local/www directory
already so perhaps the /www partition is not required. Is a separate /db
partition really needed?

I'm pretty confused and would like to setup my web server the right way once
and for all. Are there any standard recipes and/or guides to figuring this
out or is it just a bunch of guess work?

How does this look?

--
Kiffin Rex Gish
Gouda, The Netherlands

--Boundary_(ID_z9Hd2PuCCVkcWhmbb0Z5hQ)--