Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:56:52 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: named messages in /var/log/messages

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 12:00:34AM +0000, Stacey Roberts wrote:

> Okay, I've managed to track this down. VPN testing is was being done at
> the time from that Win2K box to a remote site running RRAS VPN Server on
> Win2K Server.
>
> Seems that RRAS dynamically assigns IP's from a static table of
> addresses to incoming connections over the VPN. And as the VPN emanates
> from the same subnet locally, my DNS server was seeing that traffic. At
> least that's what it would appear to be happening, given your
> suggestions.

That sounds like a plausible candidate for what's the ultimate cause
of this.  However, as I'm sure you really meant, the log messages
you're seeing are the result of some software deliberately trying to
update the DNS, not that your DNS server was somehow arbitrarily
picking up on other traffic on your network.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way