Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 20:28:23 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        GR Gaudreau <grgaud@sprint.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or Linux?

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 at 11:27 SAT, GR Gaudreau wrote:

> Thank you, I'll check out AfterStep. Since I'm not familiar with this X
> stuff, I didn't realize that the wm wasn't a GUI. However, I appreciate the
> correction. Would it be correct to say that the front-end, the "stuff" I
> see on the screen when X-Windows is running, is the GUI?

A while ago I resolved to formulate model answers to those questions I seem
unable to restrain myself from answering repeatedly on mailing lists.  :-)
I've finally completed a first draft of my answer to the "What is X?"
question (based on a posting of mine to this very list).  See:
  http://ns.cityip.co.za/~wjv/vdocs/what-is-X.html

It's not technical - it's not meant to be.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878