Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 18:23:44 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP -- which to use?

> I'm new to FreeBSD and am about to setup a PPP link from a
> FreeBSD LAN to my ISP.  I've used other BSD implementations of
> PPP (always in the kernel which is where I think it belongs),
> but I note that FreeBSD-2.2.7 offers user level PPP as well as a
> kernel implementation.  I'd prefer to use the kernel variant,
> but am interested to hear if there are any sound reasons why I
> should consider the alternative.

The big plus is that it does multilink.  You can also control it from
one or more diagnostic ports (or interactively) and it has extensive
logging capabilities.

There's an archive at http://www.Awfulhak.org/ppp.html and another at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/~brian with the latest up-to-the-minute
sources which will build on any version of FreeBSD back as far as
2.0.5 AFAIK.

ppp(8) lists its features right at the start.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org> <brian@FreeBSD.org> <brian@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;