Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 95 15:54:12 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        annettj@lati.tec.sd.us (John R. Annett)
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Missing Operating System

> I am trying to install freebsd on a compaq Prolinea 4/33s with a seagate
> st3391a drive the install seems to go well until I get to the point to
> have the system boot from the hard drive in order to go to step 3 to
> install the cpio files. At the reboot I get the message Missing operating
> system.  Is there a way to copy the kernel to the hard drive manually?
> Or is it possible that the st3391a drive is not compatible with FreeBSD?
> Any help that I could get would be greatly appreciated as my current
> machine storage is full and I need to get this one up before I take my
> older Gateway 386/16 off line.

The message "Missing Operating System" comes from the DOS master boot
record when the partition marked active does not have the correct hex
stamp at the end of the boot record.

Since the BSD boot code has the correct stamp, there are only two
possibilities:

1)	You didn't write the BSD boot code to the disk.

	This case is easily checked from the BSD fdisk program;
	thus I will reject it as trivial to correct.

2)	The BSD boot code was written to the disk, only it was
	not written where it was supposed to go.

	This case may be the result of a non-linear translation of
	the drive (in which case you must turn off translation OR
	use the entire drive for BSD).  This is what WD1007 ESDI
	controllers do; the translation is nono-linear because they
	reserve replacements to pretend to have "perfect media" in
	the middle of the driver rather than grouped at the end.

	There is also the possibility that the drive translation
	is done via an MBR loaded INT13 redirector, such as the
	one provided by OnTrack systems in version 6.x or above of
	OnTrack disk utilities.  All major drive manufacturers
	and OEM's use OnTrack's code.  The MBR redirector means
	that the real MBR is hidden by subtraction out of the
	sector offset on the drive when the INT13 redirector
	is active.  This basically means that there is then a
	discrepancy between the BIOS apparent start-of drive and
	the BSD apparent start-of-drive.  This is 69 sectors.

	If you boot with a DOS disk instead of from the DOS partition
	of the hard disk, and run pfdisk.exe to dump the partition
	table at the real start-of-drive, you will see a partition
	type 0x54 that spans the entire drive.

	To resolve the problem, you must make a differential of 69
	sectors between the BSD absolute sector offsets in the
	BSD disklabel and the BIOS partition offsets.

	You must then modify the BSD fdisk program to write the
	BSD partition information at a +69 sector offset.  This
	ensures that it goes into the partition table that BIOS
	sees after the bootstrap redirector loading MBR has patched
	the INT 13 vector.

	Once in protected mode, BSD itself attempts to use the
	disklabel to mount root, etc..  This is why you need the
	69 sector differential, since the protected mode drivers
	will be reading from the physical start of disk, not the
	BIOS apparent start of disk.

Unfortunately, the drive geometry is *still* not being passed in
via the boot blocks instead of being interpolated; this means that
most if this still can not be done automatically.

I have some code that I've been working on with the help of an engineer
at OnTrack that would deal with some of these issues, but it is still
far from ready.

Unfortunately, this is also complicated by the existance of other
MBR based INT 13 redirector software (used by non-major OEM's and
drive manufacturer's 8-)).

Most EIDE drives have this code preinstalled.  Gateway and Compaq tend
to install the code as well.  I haven't seen a Dell system with it in
place yet, but I'm sure I will.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---