Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 23:17:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/13644

>I just happen to have bought an emacs book yesterday and read a bit. I
>have two things that I cannot get clear for myself:

Well, since BSD is Unix, as long as they are revising emacs, it will
have support in BSD.

>1. Is it 'done' on BSD? The book gave me the idea that emacs is a real
>GNU thing, so much 'hallelujah' in it. I don't mind that, but wouldn't
>like to jump into learning it all, if it isn't really supported in
>BSD-circles. And I want to be politically correct of course :-)

See answer above...

>2. Which version should I use/learn/configure? "Most younger ... use
>Xemacs." I'm 39. Does the fact that I still occasionally use
>WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS, because the ctrl and alt key-strokes [for
>notes, size e.g.] somehow come natural for me, suggest the non-X
>version?

I think what he meant was that Xemacs wasn't out when he started with
the original emacs.  Xemacs offers a nice interface and menus, plus
some differences.  Very nice, from what i can see.

>A third, now I'm at it: Does the Windows version (it is on the CD with
>the book) really work? Would be nice to use at work maybe, once I got
>used to it or maybe fond of it.

FWIK, people who like emacs like it because it is the same on all
environments, among other reasons, of course.  There are versions for
many different OSes out there.

"I've done questionable things, also extraordinary things....
Revel in your time!"