Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:22:31 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Racing interrupts

In message <199910251646.KAA13773@mt.sri.com> Nate Williams writes:
: Not true at all.  Otherwise, the 'hardware' would have to emulate the
: functionality of every card that was once in the slot, and respond in
: the same fashion. :(

OK.  Somehow I had it in my head that pccard slots had pins of
differing lenght and the short ones were used to trigger interrupts a
fraction of a second before the card itself went dead due to the
address/data pins going away.

This is one reason that I want each driver in its own thread and that
the interrupt that says the card is gone to effectively do a longjump
to a "You are now gone, don't touch hardware, but cleanup the best you
can" routine.  However, I'm not sure what this would do to driver
complexity.  I also know that it may be fraught with problems because
you'd need one thread per card and even then some drivers check all
units on an interrupt....

Warner