Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 2009 00:05:26 +0000
From:      Ananda Samaddar <ananda.samaddar@vfemail.net>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about FreeBSD on a Mac Mini

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:00:04 -0600
Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> wrote:

> While the installer does not currently provide a partitioning
> mechanism or bootloader installation facility, the operating system
> itself does have this capability, and you can also do it by hand
> (e.g. from OS X). The gpart utility is capable of partioning APM
> disks from the command line, and there is a boot loader image
> (/boot/boot1.hfs) available on -CURRENT that you can dd to an extra
> 800 K partition to get a boot sector that OF will understand. You can
> also partition from OS X and copy the loader (/boot/loader) to an HFS
> partition at that time.

I run Debian on an ibook already so I'm presuming it's similar thing to
what they term a 'New World Boot partition' when you talk about a
'small partition'.  Also can partitions that have been created under
Linux be converted by the installer to UFS2?

> This is remedied in -CURRENT and will be merged to -STABLE in a week
> and a half, barring any reports of problems.

So this will be merged into 7.0 as a compile time option for the
kernel?  Does the supplied GCC support Altivec and if so can ports be
recompiled for Altivec support?

thanks,

Ananda