Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:54:32 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        ocean@ecenet.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help, can't send messages to Freebsd.org!

> Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:37:04 -0600
> From: "Nicole Porter" <jivetweety@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Help, can't send messages to Freebsd.org!
>
> Ok, I'm now trying to use my wife's hotmail account to send a message,
> because I have been trying for four days now with my account.
> These are the email addresses I've tried:
> freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> questions@freebsd.org
> jkh@freebsd.org
>
> All come up with the same error message, as follows.  The message says I
> don't need to resend, but my message never ends up on the list.
> Is my server blocked?  My normal email address is ocean@ecenet.com
> Please do not send to this account, send to me directly.
> Thanks,
> Michael Porter
> ocean@ecenet.com

The FreeBSD mailing lists do not accept mail from a system if
the system IP number does not map back to a valid domain name
(or something like that).  The system in question would be the
SMTP host that your mail client sends outgoing mail to, which
appears to be 204.220.140.4.

This policy greatly reduces the amount of commercial spam on
the freebsd mailing lists.

If I read this error message correctly, it is trying to tell you
that 204.220.140.4 attempted to deliver your message to
hub.freebsd.org, but it didn't have a proper domain name so
the mail was rejected.  If that was the problem, it is fixed,
because it now has a name that maps properly, i.e.:

Name:    mail.cpinternet.com
Address:  204.220.140.4
Aliases:  seagull.cpinternet.com

Does the problem still exist?  It looks to me like your
ISP temporarily had things misconfigured, but it is now fixed.

- Bob