Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 17:47:37 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        wbart3@ktb.net (Bill Bartley)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Atapi IDE cdrom support

Bill Bartley stands accused of saying:

> I've been running Linux for sometime, and would like to give FreeBSD
> a try.  But-I have an Atapi IDE cdrom.  Linux has supported this
> type of cdrom drive for over a year, yet your latest version, 2.1,
> describes its support of this type of drive as being of "alph"
> quality.

Linux has support _some_ drives of this type for over a year.  The Linux
camp are, perhaps, somewhat more generous in their use of the term
"support".  Many people are using the FreeBSD ATAPI driver with no
problems at all, however because it doesn't work with the vast majority
of drives, and hasn't been heavily tested, it's generally considered
wise to mention this up front.

> I was wondering when this situation will be corrected.  Atapi IDE
> cdrom drives are not exactly new technology.

Calling ATAPI drives "technology" of any sort is a bit of a joke.  If you
can put three models from three different vendors together, and find a
lowest-common-denominator set of commands and options that allow the
_basic_ CDROM operations, then you deserve a medal.  And then we'll
give you a fourth that breaks the set.

If you're not sure whether your drive will work, download the ATAPI-enabled
boot floppy and try it - you may well already be a winner.

If you have a drive that doesn't work, and you're willing to help the
developer(s) get it working, then people will be very happy.