Date:      10 Dec 2003 08:20:58 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@Freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to make dhclient give up its lease and get a new one with routes, etc. ?

paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com> writes:

> somewhere other than on my network. As luck would have, I got assigned
> a new IP address last night (for the first time since I used @home
> more than 3 years ago) and for some reason the dhcp client wouldn't
> get the new address. I ran dhclient and that just set my address to
> all 0's. I then killed it and restarted and got an address but no
> routes. I ended up rebooting and that solved it (I then had to fix
> both no-ip's config file since the old one was unparseable by version
> 2 clients and go to zoneedit and update my address).
>
> So how to make dhclient do all this without the Windows workaround of
> rebooting?

You have to kill the existing dhclient instantiation before you mess
around with this (I suspect that's the part you missed).  Then you
should try "dhclient -r" to release the existing lease (and, probably,
reset some state at the server), and then start dhclient up again.

That should do it.

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area:
		resume/CV at http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/resume/