Date:      Wed, 02 Feb 2000 20:19:24 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To:        Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Why to use seperate partitions

On 2/2/00, 8:36:09 PM, Technical Information=20
<tech_info@threespace.com>
wrote regarding RE: Why to use seperate partitions:

> This is all very understandable from the SysAdmin's point of view.
But are
> there any comparable advantages for Joe Unix who is using his machine
solo
> or with a few moderate users?  And can't quotas be used to stop any
rampant
> growth in particular areas?

> I'm not doing backups or anything like that on my personal system, and=

> never can predict which areas (e.g., var or tmp or usr) are going to
grow
> the fastest.  So I've also typically just installed everything into
one
> large root [/] directory.  For somebody without any experience or even=

> good idea of how a system may be used, directory subpartitioning seems=

like
> a hit-or-miss proposition at best.

> Heck, I wouldn't even know how much room to allocate to the
theoretically
> immutable root directory....

> K.--

<snip>

Dear Mr "Technical information",

just my 0.02 Euro to the pot.

I have created two FreeBSD installations on my home 'puter: a
"serious" one and an "experimental" one. Each of them has its separate
slice(s) on separate disks; I used FreeBSD partitions "by the book"
(ie /, swap, /var and /usr for each installation).

Personally, I can only see advantages in doing this:
1) learning the rational flexible FreeBSD slice and partitions scheme;
2) improved recovery possibilities in case of (file)system crashes;
3) an orderly and neat system.

BTW, you seem to be in direct contradiction ... with yourself
[Mr Technical Information (!)] :-))

N.B. my_fake_antispam_domain =3D=3D=3D> neomedia.it to e-mail to me.

Best regards,
Salvo