Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:26:21 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sysadmin question about network startup

Try creating /etc/start_if.tun0 with your ppp startup command in it, similar
to:

    ppp -auto -alias your_dial_on_demand_connection_name

This will start ppp when the tunnel driver (tun0) is initialized by rc.conf.
This is early enough in the boot sequence that ppp dials-out when sendmail
gets started, so it should be early enough for wherever you have ntpdate

You might want to try just using xntpd, without ntpdate. I, too, have a
non-permanent dial-up account and xntpd works fine. I'd let xntpd dial-out
whenever it wanted for a couple of days to stabilize and get your system's
drift figured out, then use ppp's filters to prevent xntpd from dialling out
or keeping the connection alive.

To use ppp's filters, add these lines to your connection in
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf (remember the space char at the beginning of each line):

 set filter alive 0 deny udp src eq 123
 set filter alive 1 deny udp dst eq 123
 set filter alive 2 permit 0 0
 set filter dial 0 deny udp src eq 123
 set filter dial 1 deny udp dst eq 123
 set filter dial 2 permit 0 0

Hope this helps,

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!