Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2003 09:22:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Schroeder, Aaron" <Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 5305 kernel compile issues with 5.0RC2

Schroeder, Aaron writes:
 > Hello all,
 >
 > I have been trying to get a kernel to compile on a Digital 5305 running a
 > serial console for a few days now. I have a recent cvs of the current tree
 > and have re-built my world successfully. However, when I try to compile my
 > kernel, I get errors in what seems to be the keyboard section. I tried
 > commenting the keyboard options out of the kernel, but no such luck. I am
 > not sure if it is because BSD wants a keyboard plugged in. I have never ran
 > a machine with a serial console only before, but I did set my SRM console
 > environment to 'serial'
 >
 > Any ideas anyone?
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > AJ Schroeder
 >
 > atkbd.o: In function `write_kbd':
 > atkbd.o(.text+0x1d60): undefined reference to `send_kbd_command_and_data'

This symbol is defined in atkbdc.

It sounds like your config file has an error, and you've got
   device          atkbd

without also having
   device          atkbdc

BTW, attempting to remove the keyboard controller for a serial machine
is a silly microptimization.  You'll save a few K of kernel memory, at
the cost of totally screwing yourself if you ever need to boot the
machine with a graphics head (like if your terminal server goes bad).

You need not do anything special to use a serial console.  Just make
sure /etc/ttys has an entry for ttyd0 enabled, and set the SRM console
env to serial.

Drew