Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 2015 19:47:08 +0100
From:      Terje Elde <terje@elde.net>
To:        Paul Stuffins <freebsd@ravexdata.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are Jails worth it?

> On 29 Dec 2015, at 17:42, Paul Stuffins <freebsd@ravexdata.com> wrote:
>=20
> I have a FreeBSD VPS on Digital Ocean that runs Nginx and PHP-FPM, MariaDB=
 is run on a separate VPS, and was wondering is it worth running NginX and P=
HP-FPM in separate jails, or is it not worth it and I should just keep the s=
et up as I have it which is everything installed on the base system?

That depends on a lot of different things.=20

Couple of thoughts:

Running jails isn't much of an effort once you're used to it.=20

But the benefit depends on what you're trying to protect. There's a world of=
 difference between a playpen, and health-info.=20

You could also stuff both of them in a single jail, giving you a clean host.=
=20

Securing the php-installation and code is probably just as important. Look a=
t it this way; jails give you isolation, but if your only thing is a php-sit=
e, which two (or more) things are you trying to isolate from each other?

Terje