Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:43:56 -0400
From:      Ken Ebling <ken@idealinter.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: web mail interface program.

On Jun 27, 2005, at 9:02 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

>     People,
>
>     As an experiment I build squirrelmail on my laptop which is
>     on my internal net.  I chose sendmail; but the ./configure
>     section also required that I use IMAP.  Everything went well
>     until I tried to login.  No joy.  I admit that I'm pretty
>     clueless re POP3 or IMAP.  Can anybody help me?
>
>     If I install  squirrelmail on my primary server would I be
>     rid of IMAP? Or is there a better mail program with a web
>     interface.
>
>     thanks for a flashlight:-)
>
>     gary
>
>     PS:  I have evolution working on another internal server;
>          if only it had vi for replies, Life would be perfect....
>

> --
>    Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public
> service Unix

I recently went through setting up a FreeBSD 5.4 mail server using
postfix for smtp w/sasl (and maildrop as the lda), courier for secure
pop/imap, squirrelmail for webmail and dspam for spam filtering.

It took a few attempts to make dspam work properly, but I'm very
pleased with the setup.

In regards to you questions, you will have to install an imap server
to use squirrelmail.  I prefer courier-imap because it's pretty easy
to setup and the courier-authlib port lets me setup md5, ssl, etc.
connections.

The only catch with courier-imap is that it will not read mail from
mbox mailboxes (/var/spool/mail).  You have to be using Maildir
mailboxes, which I'm not sure sendmail will do natively.  I know you
can use Sendmail -> Procmail -> Maildir though.

Figure out which approach works best for you, and I can probably help
you with the implementation.

Ken Ebling