Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 16:56:14 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdfs@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Known problems with async ufs?

> /dev/sd0a on / (local)
> /dev/sd0s2e on /usr (local)
> /dev/sd0s2f on /usr/local (local)
> /dev/sd12e on /var (local)
> /dev/sd0s2g on /users (local)
> /dev/sd12f on /news (asynchronous, local, noatime, nosuid)
> /dev/sd0s2h on /src (asynchronous, local)                       (/usr/src)
> /dev/sd12h on /spare (asynchronous, local)                      (/home/ncvs)
> /dev/sd0s2d on /work (asynchronous, local)
> /dev/sd11a on /x (asynchronous, local, nosuid)
> /dev/sd12g on /y (asynchronous, local, noatime)                 (/usr/obj)
> procfs on /proc (local)
> /work/spare on /x/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/XFree86-3.3 (local, read-only)

general question... (pardon my possible ignorance)

assuming one runs a filesystem /usr/src (noatime), wouldnt one
need to run /usr and / (noatime) too to get the best "performance"
from that flag?

only filesystem that i could think i'd need to run (atime) is
/var/mail but anyone knowing any others i should run such way too,
tell me, since that' show my machines are not set up...

i've been using my filesystems on either (async) (noatime) (async,noatime)
for some time now, recently even using dma, in the past my machine
did hang/crash relatively often coz of bad ram/cache i had, yet i
never lost anything... now it doesnt crash anymore, tho.

ofcourse, important filesystems / and /usr are just (noatime),
others (async,noatime) except /var/mail just (async).

and yes, i separate filesystems a lot, /usr/src /usr/ports /usr/obj
/usr/tmp /usr /var /var/log /var/mail / /tmp /news /home all go into
their own partition... (disadvantages?)

i know i'd feel really pissed off to lose one of those (async)
filesystems, but yet, everything i have in those are one way, or
another, replaceable, thus, the gambler in me wants to run them
as fast as possible...

and if someone has some tests or anything for me to run, i might be
able to do that. (i run always fresh current, hardly even older than
two weeks)

and while we talk about filesystems, _good_ journalling fs would be nice...

mickey