Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 00:39:42 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   grep and console width

I was shocked to discover today that the "grep" command is impacted
by the width of a console window.

I found this out because there's a daemon I've been working with
whose "ps" output exceeds 80 chars.  But it's a perl script so the
string /usr/bin/perl preceeds it on the command-line.

There are 2 active processes which use perl.  When I use:

	ps -aux |grep perl

It shows both perl processes, including the one mentioned above. (the
ps output is just truncated at the right margin, prior to the string
which identifies the daemon mentioned above)

But when I use:
	ps -aux |grep <daemon name string>

It doesn't return anything!  But if I change the console size from 80
columns to 132 columns, poof, grep now returns the match!

So does the size of the display really change whether grep knows
about the output of a command?!?

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium