Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 2010 19:12:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Like it or not, Theo has a point... freebsd is shipping export-restricted software in the core

> From owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org  Thu Oct  7 18:28:10 2010
> Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 09:29:46 +1000
> From: Danny Carroll <fbsd@dannysplace.net>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Like it or not,
>  Theo has a point... freebsd is shipping export-restricted
>  software in the core
>
>  On 7/10/2010 8:23 PM, Gonzalo Nemmi wrote:
> >
> > I would assume you already did that before walking into my office to
> > If you go tell your Dr. you have a simple cof and a runy nose, he
> > wonīt ask you to go trhough a colonoscopy or a brain tomography ...
> > and, _please_, _by_all_means_ donīt count on him finding anything on
> > your colon or in your brain in that case.
> >

> True, but if you told your doctor to test that you did not have cancer
> and he neglected to give you a colonoscopy, then he'd be, well, negligent.
> But I am just being fecetious, I guess a lawyer may not have the
> technical knowledge to know *where* to get each license that may be used.

The lawyer doesn't need to know where to get each license.  He, does know,
however, that he needs -all- of them,  -and- that they're not necessarily
all in 'obvious' places.

The conversation start with you asking your lawyer something along the lines
of:
   "I'm considering exporting _this_ bundle of sofware,  what needs to be
    checked?"

he'll tell you: "I need to review the copyright notices, licenses, and
distribution restricions on _each_and_every_ item in that package.  Go
check _every_ file you intend to include,  bring me a list showing
  1) every file name
  2) who holds the copyright to that file
  3) what form of license it is issued under, and for each form of license
      a complete copy of that license.
  4) any 'restricted use' notices you may find along the way

Then _you_ actually perform the audit.