Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:36:13 +1300
From:      Chris Pearce <ferox@paradise.net.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, dunlug@lists.ethernal.org
Subject:   Is ADSL modem + NAT the same as an ADSL Router?

Hey all,

I'm setting up a network to share an ADSL connection,
and I'm wondering about the difference between a regular
ADSL modem and an ADSL router.

My plan was to have a FreeBSD box acting as a
gateway for the LAN, but I'm not sure whether a router
or a regular modem is required.

I already have a hub, so if I put a regular ADSL modem
in the FreeBSD box running NAT, connect it to the hub,
and configure it as a gateway, will it work? What would be
different if I had a router? What do they do differently?

The guys at the shops tell me that I need a router,
but then again, it's sales people telling me that... I tried
to STFW, but all I got was people trying to sell me
modems.

Can someone help?

Thanks,
Chris Pearce.