Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 23:50:59 -0500
From:      Omar Thameen <omar@clifford.inch.com>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: very slow scsi performance

While we're on the subject of preferred drives, I should throw in
our $.02.  We're an ISP, so between news and heavily hit servers,
we see some pretty good usage.  Back before we settled on Seagate
Barracudas, we had an unusual number of problems with Quantum drives,
mostly the Gran Prix's.  Some of them seem to run fine, but we
had 3 of maybe 8-10 go bad, and they all went down due to "stiction"
after powering them down.  Maybe that has improved with the newer
models.

We haven't had one of the Barracudas go bad yet, though one is now
giving us

sd0(bt0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:0x3ba93c asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error field replaceable unit: ea sks:80,b
, FAILURE

Where can I get more info about these types of errors?

We've had about 15-20 of the Barracudas in production for about a year
or so, and a dozen 5200 RPM SCSI Connor/Seagates in our news machine
(to keep the cost down).

At the risk of stating the obvious, there's one thing that can give
you cheap insurance: fans.  We add 2 fans to every server, one blowing
directly on the drives, and one blowing out.

Omar