Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:37:01 +0800 (WST)
From:      Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
To:        keith@mail.telestream.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testing file permissions

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your suggestions.

> ls -l|awk '{print $3 $4}'
>
> will get you the ownership to be able to test it.
>
> ls -l|awk '{print $1}'
>
> will nab the perms
>
> Or am I being an idiot and still not understanding what it is you are
> trying to do.  :)

No - not at all! I'm making a mountain out of a mole-hill :-)

I had a private email from Juha Nurmela suggesting that I have a look at
the mtree (1) command -- indeed, it solves my problem.  Having read the
answer, I can now state clearly what my problem was (!):

  To compare a file hierarchy against a specification of permissions
  and ownership.

The `objection' that I had to using the Unix text tools and small command
languages was it that it seemed to be a heavy-weight solution to a tiny
problem.

Thank you again for your suggestions. I appreciate the effort you've put
into helping me.

Mike Kennett