Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:54:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Viktor Lazlo <viktorlazlo@telus.net>
To:        Timothy Luoma <freebsd@tntluoma.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Got 4.8-REL installed... Now what?

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Timothy Luoma wrote:

> I installed 4.8-Release on my machine, and got the dual boot working with
> WinXP thanks to GAG[1]
>
> So now I have this shiny new OS sitting there, and I can login, but I
> haven't a clue where to begin.  I don't know the diff. between KDE and
> GNOME or how they relate to Blackbox or Afterstep or any of the others
> window managers. (I do have an X11 config file for my computer[2]).
>
> So does how do Average Newbie Desktop User figure out where to go from
> here?

Play with it.  Do all the things you have always done on your computer.
Listen to mp3's.  Read your email.  Browse webpages.  If you don't have
what you need to do any of that and aren't sure what program to use it's
as easy as:

cd /usr/ports
make search key=whatever

to find out what program will do the job, and:

make install clean

to add it to the system.

It's not terribly important which window manager you use, all any of them
do is make X prettier and add more clicky bitz, try each of them to see
which you like the best.

Cheers,

Viktor