Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2013 15:43:48 -0700
From:      Brendan Gregg <brendan.gregg@joyent.com>
To:        Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>, Robert Mustacchi <rm@joyent.com>
Cc:        dtrace@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dtrace providers wanted list

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 02:56:53PM -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

[...]

> > This is closely related to pmc(3) but obviously our implementation is
> > completely different from the Solaris one.
> >

> > Well, just though I should share the above links in the hope of
> > motivating more DTrace provider porting. At this time our base Dtrace
> > port is pretty good but we have the chicken and egg problem where
> > developers don't know how useful DTrace really is because there is no
> > provider for their code.
>
> I think it's also important to have more and better documentation of
> existing providers. More providers are nice, but they're not as useful
> when their existence is not widely known or it's not clear how they
> might be used.
>
> I don't really like having links to an Oracle wiki page at least partly
> because none of the FreeBSD ports of those providers are 100% compatible.
> I've started writing man pages for the network providers; an example is
> here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~markj/dtrace/dtrace-ip.4.txt
>
> But I'm open to other forms of documentation as well.

Man pages would be handy. These would be in addition to the other online
docs I use: dtrace -lvn, and vi /usr/lib/dtrace/*.d!

Robert Mustacchi has been getting an updated version of the original DTrace
guide on http://dtrace.org/guide, from
https://github.com/rmustacc/illumos-docbooks/tree/master/raw/dtrace. It's
currently the "illumos Dynamic Tracing Guide", although we have talked
about how to support other OSes in the same place (not sure how).

Brendan

--
Brendan Gregg, Joyent                      http://dtrace.org/blogs/brendan