Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 03:14:43 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: lastest kernel from cvs ( sh exists with signal 8 )

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Peter Wemm wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >
> > d'oh, did it backwards again ... buildkernel then buildworld ... let me go
> > back and rebuild kernel and see if that is all it was in my case ...
>
> Argh! I wish people would stop using buildkernel! :-(  It calls config(8)
> in such a way that buries the warning messages where people dont see.
> config(8) is meant to be used interactively :-(

well, according to /usr/src/UPDATING, that is the documented way to do
things, or at least two out of 4 of them:

        To build a kernel
        -----------------
        If you are updating from a prior version of FreeBSD (even one just
        a few days old), you should follow this procedure. With a
        /usr/obj tree with a fresh buildworld,
        make buildkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        make installkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE

        To just build a kernel when you know that it won't mess you up
        cd src/sys/{i386,alpha}/conf
        config KERNEL_NAME_HERE                 [1]
        cd ../../compile/KERNEL_NAME_HERE
        make depend
        make
        make install

        [1] If in doubt, -r might help here.

        If this fails, go to the "To build a kernel" section.

        To rebuild everything and install it on the current system.
        make world
        Build a new kernel, see above.

        To upgrade from 4.x-stable to current
        -------------------------------------
        make buildworld
        make buildkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        cp src/sys/${MACHINE_ARCH}/GENERIC.hints /boot/device.hints [2]
        make installkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        make installworld
        [1]
        <reboot>

If this is wrong, can we get that updated?

Even /usr/src/README references and steers ppl to buildkernel:

"The ``buildkernel'' and ``installkernel'' targets build and install the
kernel and the modules (see below)"

I have no probs with switching back to the more 'manual way' of cd'ng into
conf and using config, etc ... I just got the impression awhile back that
using buildkernel/installkernel was the recommended way of doing this, so
switched to it ...