Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 1996 07:59:16 -0800
From:      "Ulf Zimmermann" <ulf@z-code.ncd.com>
To:        Terry Dwyer <tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>, Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@z-code.ncd.com>, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-questions@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Embedded SCSI controller on HP netserver LC

On Mar 8, 15:06, Terry Dwyer wrote:
> Subject: Re: Embedded SCSI controller on HP netserver LC
> [...]
> > >
> > > I've been offered the chance to upgrade my hardware at work from a tired
> > > old 486DX33 16MB ram to a new machine.  This could well be a HP Netserver
> > > LC (P100).
>
> To those who replied thank you.
>
> One of the replies indicated that the aic7770 could only handle 4
> transactions at a time as opposed to 16 for the aic7870.  This has enabled
> me to up the ante and go for a machine with a better SCSI controller.
>
> Terry
>-- End of excerpt from Terry Dwyer

AIC7850 = 3 SCB (SCSI Command Blocks) (PCI, used on many motherboards, sold as
					Motherboard with 2940 on board)
AIC7770 = 4 SCB, external SRAM possible with up to 255 SCB (ISA, VLB, EISA)
AIC7880 = 16 SCB, external SRAM possible with up to 255 SCB (PCI, 2940/2940W)
AIC7880 = 16 SCB, external SRAM possible with up to 255 SCB (PCI,
3940/3940W(?))

The original software from Adaptec (HIM support) has also ways to store SCB in
normal computer ram, but the AIC chip can't load this automatic.

Bye, Ulf.

--
===================================| NCD Software Div. Z-Code, SysAdmin
  FreeBSD 2.1.0 is available now!  | Phone: 415-899-7941 Fax: 898-8299