Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:18:30 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        operador@nietzsche.webcaribe.net
Cc:        sendmail+rickert@Sendmail.ORG, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: error

The FreeBSD mailing lists (hub.freebsd.org) do not accept mail
from systems for which a reverse dns lookup fails.  This policy
greatly reduces the amount of commercial spam on the mailing
list.

As Neil Rickert pointed out, the easiest solution is generally
to relay the mail through the appropriate ISP's SMTP host by
specifying it as the SMTP "Smarter Host" in the sendmail
configuration.

For most people this is not a problem once they understand
what they need to do (although it used to aggravate me
because I used to use several ISPs and had to change the
sendmail config every time I changed ISPs).

In this particular case, it appears to be a misconfigured
nameserver, because there are all kinds of names mapped to
209.88.252.106, but looking up that IP number doesn't
return a name.  You need to configure your nameserver to
provide the proper reverse lookup (or you need to talk to
your ISP and get their nameserver and your nameserver
cooperating with each other).

- Bob