Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 03:54:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Mike Pritchard" <mpp@mpp.minn.net>
To:        chris@aries.bbcc.ctc.edu (Chris Coleman)
Cc:        dgy@rtd.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1 acctng/quotas

Chris Coleman wrote:

> I have tried to get Quotas working with no real success.
> It says they are working, ie i have no error messages,
> but it doesn't seem to do anything. (yes, i enables option QUOTA
> in the kernel)

Up until a could of weeks ago I did have quotas enabled on my machine,
and they seemed to work just fine.  You need to enable them
in /etc/sysconfig, and your kernel config file.  Then run edquota
to set some limits on some people.  However, I turned quotas back
off because some recent changes started causing lots of quota
related panics and decided to back off for now.  I think if you are
running 2.1-release or 2.1-stable you should be fine.

> However, accounting seems to work as far as i understand it.
> I can check how much time each user has been on the machine.

I've also had accounting enabled for the last 6 months without
any problems.

--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@minn.net