Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 07:33:26 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "RDWest Sr." <ricky500r@home.com>, "Libby Charles-CCL044" <Charles.S.Libby@motorola.com>, <scaturan@lomag.net>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mad about questions?    newbies list=what?

> i spent 60 freaking bucks for this OS at best buy...      it
specifies in
> the BOOK for support to join this list....

What would you have paid for a Microsoft equivalent ?? eg W2K Advanced
Server

> i'm a newbie to bsd     and i know everyone who has never even seen
> unix-like os is going to ask some dumb questions...    i've been
useing
> win32 servers and would like to learn the bsd os...  now since i
can't find
> ports and packages for v4.0 retail, i d/led the iso of 4.3....

"packages" can be accessed from /stand/sysinstall

ports can be accessed from /usr/ports/xxxxxx & run "make install"
(assuming you've
installed the ports distribution from /stand/sysinstall first)

> i did a clean install...    no errors..   installed and started up
fine...
> i startx and right clk my desktop (or in any dir) and select NEW>dir
it
> gives error saying( the template file
> /usr/local/share/templates/.source/emptydir doesn't exist )

huh .... sounds like something in X (which I don't use) so maybe an X
guru can
answer that