Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 00:32:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        danf@server1.bisnet.net
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org, install@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.ord
Subject:   Re: Problem setting up nntpd

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>I am attempting to setup nntpd.  I installed it and changed the owner and
>group to news on all the files.  I also changed the nntp line in the
>/etc/inetd.conf file to look like:

>nntp    stream  tcp     nowait  news    /usr/local/libexec/nntpd        nntpd

Two things.

1.  is nntp in /etc/services ?

2.  Is your nntpd configured to accept connections from your IP
address?  (I believe that nntpd has access control options which you
may be running afoul of?)  Can you run nntpd by hand? (e.g. type
/usr/local/libexec/nntpd and see what happens).

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/