Date:      Fri, 02 Jun 2000 13:25:15 +0100
From:      Tim Priebe <tim@polytechnic.edu.na>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        "Sumbry][" <sumbry@affinity.net>, lambert@cswnet.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cucipop port/source

spork wrote:

> I just gave cucipop a quick trial and it just about cut the load on the
> machine in half.  Response in my pop client was quite zippy.
>
> I did run into a few problems, the most annoying being the difference in
> UIDLs returned between Qpopper and cucipop:
>
> cucipop - UIDL 1
> +OK 1 982b3d94590d0000
>
> Qpopper - uidl 1
> +OK 1 7717bd7ef97667003d730748e3987af1
>
> This basically made everyone download all mail again as if it were new.
> It also doesn't seem to play well with our webmail interface...

The webmail problem is probably the same one I had, and could possibly explain
the downloading of old mail. The problem is that when you list the mail in your
mail box, cucipop claims it is going to send you 9 bytes more than it acctually
does. The web mail client I am using then times out waiting for the final 9
bytes. I have reported the problem this week, but have not recieved a response.
The work around I have implemented is to subtract 9 from the expected number of
bytes in the webmail software.

> Anyone have any tips on this or understand a bit more how the UIDL feature
> is implemented?  Has anyone ever found a cucipop mailing list?

As far as I can tell when you pay for the product you get added to the mailing
list.

Tim.