Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 20:36:38 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>, "Mikhail A. Sokolov" <mishania@demos.net>, Pecsenyanszky Istvan <pisti@c3.hu>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel panic (out of mbuf's)

>> > a) increase maxusers, as handbook teaches, b) options "NMBCLUSTERS=4096".
>> > When you exceed ti, try next 2x value, but don't raise NMBCLUSTERS to
>>
>>         Why should you not raise it above 12,288? What evidence do you have to
>> support that?  This is an issue near to my heart, so I would appreciate
>> any details you can provide.
>>
>>         I do agree however that leaving maxusers at 512 and increasing
>> NMBCLUSTERS is the answer. IIRC, with maxusers at 512 there are around
>> 8,000 mbuf clusters, so something higher than that would be the place to
>> start.
>
>According to the FreeBSD FAQ, http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ92.html,
>"NMBCLUSTERS=4096" is the maximum.

   The only maximum is the number that can fit in the kernel virtual memory.
You could probably configure 15000 or more without much trouble, but going
much beyond that will require changing the virtual memory layout in FreeBSD.
With a changed kernel VM layout, the limits become much higher - wcarchive
is configured for 80000 at the moment, for example, and will eventually be
going to 160000 (required to support 10000 concurrent ftp users).

-DG

David Greenman