Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2000 14:40:22 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        "Unice, Kyle" <kyle.unice@intel.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for someone

"Unice, Kyle" wrote:

> who has set up a private network using: natd, ipfw, named, sendmail, & ftp.
>
> My setup is the following:
>
> 1 dedicated connection to the Internet with a single IP address.
> An internal network that is connected to several machines.
>
> I want to run mail for several different domains, FTP service for several
> domains, httpd, and be the primary DNS server for my given domains.
> I know how to do httpd, but sendmail, ftp, named, and ipfw are giving me
> grief.
>
> I would guess someone has done this before..... right?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Kyle
>
> W. Kyle Unice
> Senior Software Eng.                               Mail Stop  UT2 F2-46
> Internet Management Appliance Division   American Fork, Utah 84003
> Intel Corporation                                       Voice: (801)
> 763-2853
> 734 East Utah Valley Drive, Suite #300     FAX: (801) 763-2897
> Viewpoints, opinions, and content are my own and not necessarily those of
> Intel Corp.

That kind of setup is fairly easy. You will most likely have to
re-compile a new kernel with:

options  IPFIREWALL
options  IPDIVERT

In order for the ipfw/natd to work correctly. There is a decent tutorial
on setting up natd found at http://www.defcon1.org/, once you've read it
and tried things out a bit, ask some more detailed questions here if you
need to.
	As for sendmail, the default configuration as installed with FreeBSD
3.1-RELEASE or newer should already be setup to do what you want, just
add the domains (one per line), to /etc/mail/sendmail.cw and create
virtual mappings in the form:

user@domain.virtualhosted.com     localusername_or_alias

To the file /etc/mail/virtusertable; you will also need to make a hash
of this file. Restart sendmail and it should be working fine after that
point. You will most likely need to run some sort of POP3 daemon to
retrieve the email; I suggest cucipop personally.
	As for named, that's a tad bit more complicated. First off, register
your hostname with internic. Then, (if you can), have your ISP change
the reverse dns to match that hostname. Make the localhost.rev file
using the script found in /etc/namedb. Edit /etc/namedb/named.conf,
something similar to the following should work for you:

options {
        directory "/etc/namedb";
};

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.root";
};

zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
        type master;
        file "localhost.rev";
};

zone "whatever.com" {
	type master;
	file "s/whatever.com";
};

zone "another.com" {
	type master;
	file "s/another.com";
};

Then merely utilize the localhost.rev file as a template by which to
create whatever.com, and another.com's zonefiles.
	If you run into anymore trouble, and/or have any more questions, please
feel free to email myself and/or the list questions@freebsd.org for more
help.

--
Nathan Vidican