Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 07:06:20 +0100
From:      roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BoS: Exploit for sendmail smtpd bug (ver. 8.7-8.8.2).

According to Don Lewis:
> Qmail doesn't do all the ESMTP negotiation that sendmail does.  It keeps
> qmail simpler and less likely to be buggy, but not as functional.  For
> instance sendmail 8.7.x supports: 8BITMIME, SIZE, DSN, VERB, ONEX, but
> whatever version of qmail I just checked only supports 8BITMIME and
> PIPELINING.  Sendmail 8.8.x adds ETRN.

I don't think it handles 8BITMIME at all even if it announces it. Does it
support rewriting  from 8bit to 7bit and reverse ?

> Sendmail's support of UUCP isn't wonderful (mostly a problem of
> getting DNS totally disabled).  How well does qmail support UUCP?

That's a common misunderstanding. UUCP support in sendmail is pretty good
(see my other mail). qmail is BAD for UUCP (and the author doesn't care).

--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
  FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #28: Sun Nov 10 13:37:41 MET 1996