Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 00:09:17 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        rsowders@usgs.gov ("Robert L Sowders")
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: automating dump | ssh

On 9 May 2001 20:51:50 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you =
wrote:

>Assuming you want to dump as root try the following, I did this to setup=
=20
>cron'd rsync mirror, should work for dump.=20
>
>You have to make the keys without passphrases ( not real secure ) and =
then=20
>move the .pub files to the receiving machine changing the name to=20
>authorized_keys(2).  The key is one long line so don't open it up on=20
>windows with anything.  Just move with scp.
>
>Step by step for ssh version 1
>
>1.  Turn on root logins in /etc/sshd_config on receiving machine

This is a great summary. One note I would stress is that you dont need to
necessarily login as root on the other end. You could setup a dedicated
account per machine that your are dumping from, or have one generic =
account
that takes all the dump files from various machines.

e.g. on machines A and B.  root on A does something like

/sbin/dump -0uanf - /home |gzip -3 | ssh -c blowfish
machine-a@backuphost.example.com dd
of=3D/backuppath/machine-a-uid-home-dir/dump-home-l0.gz

Not entirely sure if its correct, but some crypto guy told me blowfish =
was
a better encryption protocol in terms of speed for an application like
this.  I also like a bit of compression on the file.  This is done on the
client machine, so that the CPU gets spun there, and not on the target
machine.

	---Mike

Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)