Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 2003 23:22:51 -0600
From:      Hari Bhaskaran <subscr@spider.netmails.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sshd and reverse lookups

Hi,

(while I play around with dummynet, I have yet another q :)

I can't seem to avoid the initial login delay for sshd.
I have turned off reverse lookup - "VerifyReverseMapping no".
I don't use inetd - even then, hosts.allow has only one -
"ALL : ALL : allow". I have an ipfilter firewall which
lets only one tcp port for ssh in (from select IPs).

I see the question has been asked before
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2697694+0+archive/2002/freebsd-questions/20021117.freebsd-questions
However, I didn't see any answers there.

/etc/rc.conf: sshd_flags="-4 -u0"
              inetd_enable="NO"

I have turned off RhostsAuthentication, RhostsRSAAuthentication, HostbasedAuthentication
No user@host pattern in AllowUsers and DenyUsers -  Things that would
have required reverse DNS lookup according to man page.

An ssh 3.4p1 client running from a different machine with couple of -v's gives

debug1: got SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT
	<--- A delay of almost 1 to 2 minutes.
debug3: input_userauth_banner

I use the 'Banner' thing at the server - that is the debug3 line.
I have tried with & without the banner (just being paranoid) but
still the same result.

Any help is appreciated

--
Hari Bhaskaran