Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 02:17:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Alan Eldridge <alane@FreeBSD.ORG>, <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Proper categories (was Re: cvs commit: ports/misc Makefile ports/misc/xmms-pipe Makefile distinfo pkg-comment pkg-descr pkg-plist)

Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira writes:

> 	Well, I think that the maintainer did not oppose this.

He did, after the commit.

> However, I seriously oppose this. :)
> 	audio is for audio related ports. I read audio related
> as for audio processing be it coding/decoding/playing... xmms-pipe
> does no such thing. It is a plugin for xmms that allows users to
> control xmms through a named pipe.
> 	There are several xmms related plugins that lie in graphics.
> Should we move them to audio? IMO they should not be moved since
> they're primarily graphics based. xmms-pipe is primarily misc based.
> Incidently, it is used by an audio based program. This does not
> make it an audio category program.

The relationship is essential, not incidental:  xmmspipe has no use
without xmms, and xmms has no use other than playing or saving audio data.
For me, xmms does not even run unless a sound driver is loaded.

The purpose of the categories is to make it easier for users to find
ports.  The "misc" category is supposed to be a category of last resort,
for ports that don't fit in any of the specific categories.  If users want
something to go along with an audio player such as xmms, they are likely
to look under "audio" before looking in "misc."
--
Trevor Johnson