Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 1996 05:36:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger - Personal Account" <babbleon@mercury.interpath.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Sound questions: ESS688 (SB Pro)

I have an ESS688 sound chip, which is a SoundBlaster Pro compatible.  Both
"Dark Forces" and Linux find it to be a perfectly adaquate SoundBlaster, but
I'm having a wee bit of trouble with FreeBSD.

The usual "LINT" line for SB looks like:

    device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr

But mine is on i/o 3, so I changed it to:

    device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 conflicts drq 3 vector sbintr

When I boot up, sb0 is recognized as, not just a SoundBlaster, but a
SoundBlaster Pro.  Cool.

But when I play something to /dev/audio, I get a "popping" sound once as
the item starts, and then silence.

Any ideas?

--
Brian T. Schellenberger, the Man from Babble-On.

"Someday I'll get around to importing all the cool quotes from my other
account's .sig files."      http://mercury.interpath.com/~babbleon